ACHSWE represents Schools of Social Work across Australia
The Council is dedicated to achieving excellence and innovation in social work education, and promoting leading edge social work research.
Through our work we are committed to the development of a fair and just society that supports the achievement of human aspiration and the empowerment of those affected by inequality. Our aim is to create a dynamic and vibrant social work profession through innovative teaching, rigorous research, and transformative engagement with communities. The breadth and quality of our social work programs provides a firm foundation for future leadership.
The Council provides a national forum for Heads of accredited social work programs in Australia, and works in partnership with the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) and the Australia & New Zealand Association for Social Work and Welfare Education & Research (ANZSWWER)
- Promote social work education across the wider community, locally, nationally and internationally;
- Spearhead exchanges of information and ideas and promoting collaboration within the discipline and across allied professions;
- Support the interests of social work Faculties within the Academy;
- Maintain strong links with regulating bodies within the discipline nationally and internationally;
- Advance the profile of Australian social work education and social work educators;
- Promoting social work as an important area of study of critical importance to society;
- Address national and international issues in social policy and social work that impact upon social work education;
- Strengthen the evidence base for social work education through the promotion of quality research;
- Collate data on social work education across Australia to inform and monitor the delivery of social work programs;
- Promote innovation in the delivery of quality social work education;
- Provide ‘thought leadership’ that promotes an innovative and sustainable academic workforce that will shape the future of the social work discipline.